Zucchini season is here! Which means sneaking this almost tasteless but super nutritious vegetable into lots of meals, stir fries, salads, and most importantly – baked goods! (Check out these AMAAAAZING zucchini breakfast muffins made with absolutely NO added sugar!)
Zucchini has high amounts of potassium, Vitamin C, antioxidant, manganese, and tons of other benefits, all while being low in calories, carbs, and taste -making it the perfect thing to sneak into your food for an extra boost of nutrition! PLUS, it adds a ton of moisture, making sure this loaf doesn’t dry out.
A note on this bread recipe: This is a bread/loaf, NOT a cake. It is not overly sweet, and may not satisfy you if you are craving a brownie or piece of cake. The unsweetened cocoa makes it a tad on the bitter side, even. You can enjoy drizzled with honey or some peanut butter + bananas to sweeten it up, or it would even be delicious with some cream cheese! (I know, weird, but don’t knock it until you try it).
If you DO want to sweeten the bread to be more cake like, simply add in some maple syrup or coconut sugar to taste. Since the loaf is vegan, you can taste and adjust the batter to your liking!
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
By The Granola Diaries
(*Inspiration from Ambitious Kitchen)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water) OR 1 egg
- 1/2 large or 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 C Sunflower butter or Almond butter
- 1/2 C Almond milk
- Splash of ACV
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 C Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 C Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line or grease a loaf tin. (8×4 or 9×5 should both work).
- Make flax egg and set in fridge to gel. Or, skip if you are using a regular egg. Meanwhile, grate your zucchini onto paper towel and ring out excess moisture.
- Mix all wet ingredients well in a large bowl. Sift and gently fold in all dry ingredients, plus chocolate chips if using.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you used a flax egg, you can underbake this a bit to make it extra gooey.
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes, then slice in and enjoy! It’s great topped with some peanut butter, or jam, or even a drizzle of honey!
NOTES: This is not a sweet recipe. To make this a sweeter, more cake-like recipe, add some coconut sugar or maple syrup, and lots of chocolate chips!