Mother’s Day is right around the corner. If you’ve got a yummy brunch but a health-conscious crowd to feed, these Carrot Cake “Cupcakes” are the perfect treat!
These cupcakes are made mostly from oat flour (simply ground up oats), and a touch of almond flour, making them a naturally gluten free and highly nutritious option. The Greek Yogurt and Applesauce add a ton of moisture as well as a nice boost of Protein! Feel free to sub out the Greek yogurt for more Applesauce to make these Dairy free.
The other great thing is that these are super customizable, from what goes inside to how you top them. Feel free to add some chopped nuts or raisins inside if you like, or leave them out completely if you don’t!
As for topping, I went with a Pecan Streusal topping for some crunch, but you could use any streusal, or leave them plain, or add a healthy frosting on top! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the healthy 2-ingredient frosting from my Healthified Cinnamon Rolls. I also love topping muffins with melted coconut butter, like I did on these Breakfast Zucchini Muffins.
Healthy Carrot Cake Cupcakes
By The Granola Diaries
- 1/2 C Oat Flour + 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 C Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 C shredded/processed carrot
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp Applesauce (Sub: More yogurt)
- 1/3 C Greek Yogurt (I used Fage 2%) (Sub: More Applesauce)
- 1/3 C Maple Syrup
- 1/3 C Almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 – 1 Cup Shredded carrots (use food processor or blender)
- Add-ins: chopped pecans, walnuts, raisins, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds
- For topping: Streusal Topping from Pecan Coffee Cake
- For topping: Streusal from my Coffee Cake
- Frosting: Melted coconut butter
- Frosting: See the options I laid out in my Healthy Carrot Cake recipe (My most poular recipe!!!)
- Frosting: Healthy 2-ingredient frosting my Healthified Cinnamon Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a muffin tin with liners.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Gently fold in the dry ingredients, except the carrots, until combined. Lastly, add in the shredded carrots, starting with 1/2 Cup, and any mix-ins you want. Add more carrot to your preferences.
- Pour into 12 muffin liners and bake for 12 – 15 minutes. Let cool before frosting, or enjoy warm from the oven!