This delicious dessert recipe is adapted from my Healthy Carrot Cake, but I wanted to add a pumpkin twist for the fall.
And there have been so many requests for a healthy cream cheese frosting, so I finally came up with one! It’s not dairy-free, but it is super simple and refined-sugar free. Make sure you choose a high quality creamcheese brand with minimal ingredients!
Recipe by The Granola Diaries
For the cake:
- 3 carrots, washed and chopped to small pieces in the food processor
- 3 cups oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground Flax seed)
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 C + 2 Tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil, measured when liquid
- 1/2 C Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 C Coconut Sugar or Maple Syrup
- 1 8 oz package full fat creamcheese at room temperature
- 4 – 6 Tbsp almond milk, divided
- 4 – 6 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Make flax eggs, mixing 2 Tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp warm water, and set in fridge for at least 10 minutes. Skip if you are using regular eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 8″ round pans with coconut oil.
- Make oat flour if you haven’t by grinding oats in the food processor until reaching a flour consistency. Mix all fry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients. Slowly add the dry to wet until all combined. If mixture seems too thick, add some more almond milk. Lastly, fold in carrots, 1/2 cup at a time. You may not use all the carrots – eyeball the mixture and judge when it seems like a good ratio for your tastes!
- Pour into 2 cake pans and bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- When cake is done, let cool completely before frosting. To make frosting, combine all the frosting ingredients in a food processor. Make sure the creamcheese is room temperature! Taste and adjust to taste preference. Frost the top of one cake, stack the other on top, and then top the whole exterior.
- Enjoy your healthy seasonal cake!!!