Coffee, chocolate, and carbs. Oh my!
Get all your fixings in one delicious and simple to make WAFFLE! Did I mention its also Vegan, naturally gluten free, and full of Omega-3s, anti-oxidants, soluble fibre, etc.... ?
This is winning breakfast. Plus, its made with 5 main ingredients you probably have on hand:
-Coffee! (Cold Brew)
...plus a few other pantry staples. If you think I'm crazy and even these 5 ingredients seem like too much, I invite you to try out my super simple 3-ingredient waffles or 4-ingredient Buckwheat pancakes!
I just love making delicious and satisfying meals out of real, whole foods. There's no reason for a blood sugar spike and crash every time you want to enjoy a waffle, or for a lethargic feeling after eating a large sweet and carb-heavy breakfast. Simply use natural sugars in place of processed, refined, and chemically-ridden table sugars, and use whole, real grains/foods, like oats, or buckwheat, or coconut flour, in place of processed, nutrient-void white flour. Minimal alteration to taste, HUGE impact to the nutrition of your plate and the way it makes you feel. Like I said, this is a WINNING breakfast!
Mocha Banana Bread Waffles
By The Granola Diaries
You will need:
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp flax + 2.5 Tsbp water)
- 2 Ripe Banans
- 1 Cup Cold Brew
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 - 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil (this helps the waffle not stick to the waffle maker)
- 1 C Oat Flour
- ¼ C Oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- Pinch of salt
What you'll do:
- Make your flax egg and let it gel up in the fridge for 10 - 15 minutes. Mash bananas in a bowl while you wait.
- Add mashed banana, cold brew, vanilla, and melted coconut oil to flax egg and stir everything to combine. Add Maple syrup, if using.*
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl and fold in until everything is combined. Mixture should not be very runny - if it seems to runny, add 1 - 2 tbsp more of oat flour.
- Let the mixture sit to firm up while you preheat the waffle iron. Grease iron with some coconut oil or avocado oil spray. This amount will make 5 - 8 waffles, depending on size.
- Top with some more banana slices, chocolate slices, and maple syrup! Don't forget to leave a comment if you make this and tag me in your re-creations on Facebook and Instagram!
*Maple Syrup - Personally, I like to leave the syrup out, and then I can add it on top if I want something sweeter once they are done. That said, if you know you are looking for something sweet, its always easy to mix it in!