Green Chile Chicken Burritos
Happy Friday, peeps! I’ve got the perfect Friday treat for you: Healthy Green Chile Chicken Burritos. Whether you’re having some friends over for dinner or like to meal prep over the weekend, this is the perfect recipe for you!
These Burritos are made with simple ingredients, but are bursting with flavor. The Salsa Verde is so tasty on its own; mix it with some Greek Yogurt and you’ve got a delicious and “creamy” sauce, made without any actual cream! You favorite jarred salsa would work here, but if you need a recommendation I personally love this one and this one, or the Trader Joe’s brand!
To make the chicken, I used my handy dandy Instant Pot. It’s the best kitchen appliance ever, and you can order one from Amazon right now – click here! I don’t make chicken any other way. If you want actually cooking the chicken, you could always buy a pre-made rotisserie chicken and mix that up with the sauce. Shortcuts are always encouraged in The Granola Diaries kitchen!
For more Instant Pot recipes, check out:
Another thing that sets these Green Chile Chicken Burritos apart from regular burritos is that they don’t require any sour cream or cream cheese. All of the creaminess comes from high protein Greek Yogurt, and some melted shredded cheese. If you really wanted a dairy free version, Almond Milk or Coconut yogurt could work for the sauce, and you could omit the cheese on top. For Gluten Free Burritos, you could use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Just be extra careful when rolling them up!
A final note on what makes these Healthy Burritos so special: you can freeze them! That’s right! So, you can make a big batch, wrap the individuals in some parchment paper and freeze them for up to 3 months. To re-heat them, microwave them for about 5 – 7 minutes, depending on your microwave, or re-heat in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Pin the recipe for these Green Chile Chicken Burritos for later!
Green Chile Chicken Burritos
- Optional: Instant pot
- Pyrex Baking Dish
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast
- 1 Can Diced Green Chiles
- 2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Optional
For the Burritos
- 7 Flour Tortillas
- 1 Cup Salsa Verde
- 3/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
- First, make your chicken. Add the "Chicken Filling" Ingredients to an Instant Pot with 1/2 Cup of Water and cook on Manual for 8 minutes. Make sure your valve is set to "Sealing". Use NPR when timer is done. Remove the breasts, shred the chicken, and return to the Instant Pot with the sauce. Alternatively, shred some rotisserie or pre-cooked chicken and mix with the rest of the chicken filling ingredeints (green chiles and greek yogurt.)
- Once the chicken is ready, its time for assembly! Preheat oven to 350 and grease a large pyrex generously.
- Make your creamy burrito sauce. Mix 1 cup of Salsa Verde with 3/4 Cup of Greek yogurt. Adjust the ratios to your taste. Pour and spread a couple spoonfuls on the bottom of the Pyrex.
- Assemble the burritos! Fill a flour tortilla with a couple big spoonfuls of chicken, some cheese and some sauce. Roll once, fold in the sides, and then finish rolling. Lay in the baking dish seam-side down. Be careful not to overstuff!
- Lay all your burritos along the pyrex. Spoon the remaining sauce mixture over everything, and sprinkle with some melted cheese. Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 – 10 minutes. Make sure cheese melts, but doesn't burn!
- Serve immediately with some fresh cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt. Or, let cool and freeze for later!
Note: This Post contains Affiliate links.