Dinner is on the table in 30 minutes with this Easy and Dairy Free Chicken Enchiladas recipe - only 4 ingredients required. These enchiladas are bursting with Salsa verde flavor, and super tender chicken! If you are looking for a gluten free dairy free chicken recipe, you've come to the right place!
For a Vegetarian Enchilada recipe, click here.
About this Recipe
This quick and easy Enchiladas recipe is always a crowd pleaser. Its bursting with tons of flavor, the chicken is so juicy and tender, and you wouldn't even realize its dairy free! It requires only 4 ingredients also! This is a recipe that's perfect for a weeknight, feeding a family, or meal prep - the leftovers heat up beautifully in the oven or microwave!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
The recipe calls for making your chicken in an Instant Pot. If you do not have an Instant Pot, you could certainly use a pot and a stove, or even a slow cooker.
That said, I find the Instant Pot to be the easiest, fastest, and always give the most tender results. Simply plop your chicken and your favorite jar of Salsa Verde in the pot, cook, shred, and use as your filling! It is sooo simple. You could even skip the enchilada part and use the shredded chicken for salads, dairy free tacos, or eat it on it own!
This is the Instant Pot I use and I could not recommend it more highly. We have a 6-qt for our 2 person household and it is ample.
More Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Recipes
Topping your Dairy Free Enchiladas
Just because these Dairy Free Enchiladas are not covered in melted cheese doesn't mean the toppings need to be lacking. Make this dish beautiful! Here are some options:
Pickled Onions (make 'em yourself!)
Dairy Free "Sour Cream"
Hot Sauce (tip: choose a colorful one!)
I would definitely encourage you to add at least some topping with a bit of color to really make the presentation beautiful.
FAQ About This Recipe
You don't need to - but it does make the chicken super tender and the recipe is so easy this way! If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can cook and shred the chicken using your alternative favorite method.
While I personally prefer to use a flour tortilla in this recipe. you could certainly opt for a Corn Tortilla for a naturally gluten free option. Or, use any Gluten Free version of your favorite flour tortilla!
The main ingredient in this recipe is chicken, so it would be difficult to leave that out. If you want a vegetarian enchilada recipe made with black beans and tofu, click here.
I am a huge fan of the Trader Joe's brand as well as this brand. Your favorite jar should work best for you!
Hmm, this one is hard. I personally love Enchiladas even more than tacos because I find all the flavors really meld together beautifully during the baking. If you are not as inclined though, use the beginning of the recipe for Shredded Salsa Verde Chicken and put that in your tacos!
Pin this recipe for later!
This is the Instant Pot I use and I recommend it HIGHLY
Did you make this recipe? Leave a star rating and review to help other readers. Post a pic on Instagram and tag me @thegranoladiaries - I always repost!
- 1.5 Lbs Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 12 oz. Jar of Salsa Verde (I love this one!)
- 1 Can of diced green chiles
- 6 - 8 Tortillas (flour or corn)
- Make your chicken. Add chicken, ¾ of the jar of Salsa, and the can of green chiles to your Instant Pot. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 8 minutes.
In the meantime,, preheat the oven to 350.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, cook your chicken using your favorite method with the Salsa Verde.
- After 8 minutes, release the pressure immediately on the Instant Pot. Remove thighs, shred with a fork, and add back to pot. Stir everything together.
- Now you are ready to assemble. Take a few big spoonfuls of the sauce from the Instant Pot and line the bottom of a 7x11 (or 9x13" if you use larger wraps) Baking Dish.
- Add a few big spoonfuls of chicken to a tortilla, roll it, and place it seam-side down on the baking dish. Repeat until you have 6 enchiladas.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining Salsa Verde. You can also use any leftover liquid from the Instant Pot to ensure the enchiladas are completely covered in liquid.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Top with avocados, fresh cilantro, or some onion. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge up to 4 days!
While this recipe is dairy free, feel free to add some cheese melted on top if you like cheese and don't need it to be dairy free.
You can also use Chicken Breast.
If you prefer Red Salsa to Salsa Verde, simply sub it in instead!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g