These healthy lemon poppy seed muffins are gluten free and dairy free, but still so delicious! A light and refreshing summer treat that anyone can enjoy.
These muffins are fluffy, moist, lightly moist and a touch sour from the lemon. Most importantly, they come together in a matter of minutes, are super delicious, and are packed with nutrition!
Did you know both lemon and poppy seeds have a ton of nutritional value?
All you need to make these muffins:
Oat Flour (make your own if you have Oats)
& Some baking essentials
And some baking essentials.
The list is short and sweet, like the muffins. If you don't have poppy seeds and aren't inclined to buy some for this recipe, you could even leave them out and just make lemon muffins. Though, I would recommend them!
Another option would be to sub in Chia Seeds. You won't quite get the Poppy taste, but you will get a similar texture.
If you don't have lemons but do have oranges, try these Gluten Free Orange Poppy Seed Muffins. Its Lemon Poppy Seed's zestier cousin. They are REALLY good. I promise!
If you love muffins, I recommend you check out some of my other favorite muffin recipes on the blog as well: Sugarfree Vegan Breakfast Zucchini Muffins, Greek Yogurt Banana Muffins, or these Pumpkin Muffins!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe (Makes 6 - 7)
By The Granola Diaries
- 1 lemon, zested (½ tsp) and juiced (a bit more than ¼ cup)
- ¼ C Coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, room temp
- ¼ C honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ C Oat flour, seperated into 1 C and ¼ C
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Generous dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease or line a muffin tin.
- Zest and juice the lemon into a bowl. (See notes).
- Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl. Use a whisk to ensure honey is well dissolved and everything is well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, starting with only 1 Cup of oat flour and fold everything to combine. If mixture seems very liquidy, add remaining ¼ C oat flour, 1 - 2 Tbsp at a time.
- Pour batter into 6 - 7 muffin rounds and bake for 11 - 12 minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack to cool for at least 5 minutes. (Pro tip from Mom: If you are using a 12-muffin tin and have empty cups, fill them with a bit of water before putting them in the oven so they don't burn. Hi Mom!!!)
- Did you make these? SHOW ME on Instagram and Facebook using #TheGranolaDiaries. Nothing makes me happier!!!
- The measurements for the lemon juice & zest above are approx. what I got from 1 lemon, feel free to use more/less, depending how strong of a lemon flavor you like.
- Store muffins in fridge or freezer. They are best enjoyed day of, and may dry out a bit - just microwave for ~ 10 seconds with a damp paper towel over them to moisten them up again!