There are many banana bread recipes on this blog already, I know (helllo, classic blender banana bread & paleo pumpkin seed loaf!). But this one is super special. This one has a secret ingredient. This ingredient is so good and melts-in-your-mouth and makes the whole loaf taste 1789 x better. It’s also super rich in trace minerals and electrolytes, alkalizes the body, and can even help improve brain function. And you probably have some in your pantry right now…
The secret ingredient is…
And then the second not-so-secret ingredient is Dark Chocolate. The Dark Chocolate + Sea Salt combo is simply put: freakin’ delicious. Chocolate and Peanut Butter is a close second, and chocolate + pumpkin is certainly another contender. But the Sea Salt combo is definitely a winner.
And as you may know, sea salt provides chloride, which can help you produce the right amount of hydrochlric acid (HCL) in your stomach; this means that your body can then do a more effective job at absorbing nutrients and minerals. Since the rest of the ingredients in this banana bread are full of nutrients (Potassium in Banana Bread, Zinc in Maple Syrup, Magnesium & Iron in Spelt Flour, etc…), it is super powerful to enhance both the flavor and nutritional profile with that sprinkle of high quality sea salt!
Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
By The Granola Diaries
- 2 – 3 Large Ripe Bananas (the browner, the better)
- 1/4 C Coconut oil, measured melted
- 1/4 C Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 C Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 C Dark Chocolate Chunks / your favorite dark chocolate bar, chopped up
- Optional: Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line an 8×4″ baking loaf tin.
- Mash banana with back of fork until it’s all mushed. Whisk in oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla. (If you like things very sweet, add another Tbsp of Maple Syrup.)
- Add spelt flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Lastly, fold in the dark chocolate chips. If mixture seems dry, add a couple splashes of almond milk.
- Pour into loaf tin. Top with extra dark chocolate and remaining sea salt. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into slices.
- Don’t forget to show some love, tag me and use #TheGranolaDiaries in your recipe recreations! Follow me on Instagram and Facebook for more delicious and nutritious recipes!